Click the cover to read the complete digital edition
All things to all people
Notes and letters
Oct. 25, 9a-3p. The premise is simple: Get outside and meet community groups, non-profits, government organizations, retailers, outfitters and...
Oct 25. Nevada State Museum. Historians Larry Gragg, Eugene Moehring and Michael Green hold forth on the fabled home of the Rat Pack, that...
Oct. 25, 3:30-8:30p. Are you ready to run for your life? Lace up your sneakers and try to survive the post-apocalyptic world. Outsmart dozens of...
Pat Mulroy's next office? In a water think tank
by Heidi Kyser | posted April 15, 2014
Pat Mulroy has announced her next move, and it’s not in real estate development or politics, as her career trajectory led some to predict. The former general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority has accepted a dual role with UNLV’s Brookings Mountain West, where she’ll spend 60 percent of her time, and the Desert Research Institute, where she’ll spend the other 40 percent.
Mulroy will concentrate on water policy development and research, an area in which she gained deep expertise during her quarter-century at the Water Authority. Both DRI and UNLV are partners in a Governor’s Office of Economic Development project to create a Nevada Center of Excellence in hydrologic sciences. At DRI, Mulroy will hold the Maki Distinguished Faculty Associate position, leading a water resources and technology program, which will feed into the Center of Excellence. At Brookings Mountain West, she'll be a senior fellow for climate adaptation and environmental policy, focusing on challenges that the Southwest U.S. is facing. She'll also be a senior fellow in Brookings' Washington, D.C.-based Metropolitan Policy Program, contributing her expertise to national policy-making.
Pick up your Desert Companion today at one of these Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf or Jamba Juice locations.
Also available at Clark County and Henderson libraries.