Las Vegas Man Injured By Mortar Firework
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Las Vegas man has suffered a broken jaw after being hit by an illegal firework.
KSNV-TV reports fire crews say the 33-year-old man was hit Sunday night by a mortar firework, a circular explosive that is launched from a tube.
A nearby resident, Lynn Pecos, says her kids heard the fireworks and walked out to find the injured man.
A family member says the man had been holding the tube above his head while it was lit. The ball inside backfired and hit him in the neck, breaking his jaw and burning him.
Clark County Fire Department Deputy Chief John Steinbeck says firework-related injuries skyrocket in mid-June. He says most of the injuries are brought about from fireworks that are illegal.
The injured man is expected to recover.