Death Penalty Sought Against Salvadoran
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Prosecutors in Nevada say they'll seek the death penalty for a Salvadoran immigrant in the U.S. illegally who is charged with killing four people in January.
Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said Thursday that Wilber Ernesto Martinez-Guzman's immigration status has nothing to do with the decision to seek capital punishment.
The 20-year-old Martinez-Guzman is accused of fatally shooting a Reno couple and two women in neighboring Douglas County during a 10-day crime rampage.
The case has drawn the attention of President Donald Trump, who says it shows the need for his proposed border wall.
A grand jury in Reno indicted Martinez-Guzman on Wednesday on murder, burglary and weapon charges. He was previously charged in criminal complaints