Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Lawyer For Man Accused Of 4 Nevada Murders Seeks Dismissals

RENO, Nev. (AP) — A lawyer for a Salvadoran immigrant charged with four Nevada murders says Washoe County prosecutors have no authority to try him in Reno for two killings that occurred outside the county and that his confession should be thrown out of court.

Public Defender John Arrascada told a judge Monday he has filed motions to dismiss four of the charges filed against 20-year-old Wilber Ernesto Martinez-Guzman in a 10-count indictment last month.

They include two first-degree murder charges tied to killings in Douglas County south of Carson City.

Sponsor Message

District attorneys in Washoe and Douglas counties said earlier they believe they have the authority to try Martinez-Guzman on all charges in Reno because the crimes occurred during the same 10-day rampage in January. They're seeking the death penalty.

Judge Connie Steinheimer set a May 20 hearing on the motion to dismiss.