Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

As Cases Rise, Health Officials Concerned About Lack Of Protective Measures

New cases of COVID-19 are climbing again in Nevada, prompting officials to halt the state’s phased reopening plan. 

Nevada saw its highest ever number of new COVID-19 cases on Monday, when state officials announced 379 positive tests. Meanwhile, businesses have been allowed to open their doors again under Phase Two of the state’s plan, including casinos. 

Since then, there have been numerous reports of visitors not following physical distancing protocols or wearing masks on the gaming floor.

Sponsor Message

Washoe County Health Officer Kevin Dick says for now, it’s up to casinos themselves to enforce guidelines. 

"We’re encouraging the property owners to require customers to wear masks. They clearly have the authority to do that," Dick said. 

Dick also says if the situation doesn’t improve, public health officials could step in to mandate stricter measures in the future. 

Bert is a reporter and producer based in Reno, where he covers the state legislature and stories that resonate across Nevada. He began his career in journalism after studying abroad during the summer of 2011 in Egypt, during the Arab Spring. Before he joined Nevada Public Radio and Capital Public Radio, Bert was a contributor at KQED and the Sacramento News & Review. He was also a photographer, video editor and digital producer at the East Bay Express.